Bedford has a rich and diverse population. SpectulaArts wants to harness this and create events to enrich, enhance and celebrate this diversity.
Almost 30% of Bedford’s population is from a non-white British background. These are well established communities with vibrant cultural traditions and celebrations of their own. SpectaculArts wants to bring these communities together to produce an event which celebrates the distinctiveness of these groups. It will educate and inform through involving many people from Bedford’s varied population in a fantastic, colourful, and dynamic event.
SpectaculArts is aiming to:
- To showcase the diversity and talents in the town through music, dance and performance
- To promote an increased understanding of the cultural traditions of the various communities
- To ‘Shine a Light’ on the great activities already being undertaken by individuals and groups within Bedford and to help promote new ideas
- To bring together people from the many different cultures and communities in Bedford by involving them in creating a joyful event in September 2019 and thereafter bi-annually
- To deliver an event that lays the foundations for similar performances that will promote local cohesion and friendship in years to come
- To raise money for our charity partner DKMS and to encourage greater knowledge of stem cell donation
- To support and promote workshops for our youth working alongside teachers, volunteers and the business community
- To raise Bedford’s profile on the national stage